Toledo2014

Toledo2014

Thursday, March 31, 2011

3yrs, 6mths, 29 days...

I thought about you again today as I often do when I find myself alone on the water. You were the one man I can literally blame for my addiction.

You bought me my first fishin pole. I remember this because there are pictures to prove it. How else would a man 34 years of age remember their first birthday.

In reflection it seems as if the years between then and now flew by in an instant. What I wouldn't give for one more day in a flat bottom scuttling through the cypress trees tight lining a red shiner.

So many stories, so many memories, so many little lessons that you taught me that helped lead me to where I am today. It never seems to fail when I find myself in Hick's Pocket it all comes rushing back and nearly takes my breath away.

I remember those early days when we would come in early to a pile of Nutter Butters and big bowl of vanilla ice cream served up from a gallon bucket that would later be used to freeze filets. Those ziplocks just wouldn't quite cut it. Still don't to be honest.

As a young man I had no patience whatsoever but you had more than enough for both of us. I remember fishing through a run of tops or down a row of button willows without a bight only to turn around an hour later and make that same run and load the boat. Your patience and instinct rubbed off on me no a doubt. Its shown on more than one occasion since you left.

It seems like just yesterday Bo called me on my way home from a day of pre-fishing for an event the following weekend on Red River and gave me the news. "He's GONE" he said. It was something that I had thought was impossible, but you slipped away sometime in the night lounging in that favorite chair of yours.

So much has happened since tha day that I would give anything for you to have been a part of. I have been truly blessed but there is still an emptiness when I think of what you would have said.

On July 8, 2008 stating through the glass of the nursery scared to death I wondered what would her nickname have been. Naturally keeping the Pharr tradition she soon acquired one. Little Halo sure would have loved her papaw.

On October 23, 2010 as I hoisted that trophy up on that stage in front of a rain soaked crowd there were many voices cheering but one was missing. Or was it?

On that last run in with 20 minutes to go I swear I heard you say "Stop here, be patient!". With the last cast call on the tip of my tongue I heard it again, "Just a little longer!". The rest is history.


I miss you and think about you quite often. Nobody would know it because I keep my feelings to my self as you always did. I often honk the horn on the medic unit as I pass your graveside on the way back to the station from another trip to LSU.

I hate to keep rambling on but I just had to tell ya whats been on my mind. Afterall we have to save a few things to talk about when we meet again. God knows these next 34 will be gone before you know it.

Well so long till then Papaw, but could you do me a favor between now and then? Stock that freezer up cuz we gonna have one heck of a fish fry when I get there. I'll bring the hushpuppies and cheddar peppers.


Mike posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment